Too busy to catch up on movie news and assorted genre goodness last week? Well, here’s a peek at some of the coolest stuff you may have missed!
* Weekend Box Office Roll Call: Rise of the Planet of the Apes rose to #1 (see what I did there? Okay, moving on.) The Help came in second, Final Destination 5 bled into third. The Smurfs drops two spots but still comes in at a respectable #4, and 30 Minutes or Less rounds out the top 5.
* The stars of the Hunger Games give you ideas on what to watch ‘til their movie comes out. Some great ideas here!
* Hate forking over the extra cash for 3D? Well, you can say that you’re doing it for your health, now that a study has shown 3D can cause headaches. So use the cash you saved for sno-caps. Hey, dark chocolate is healthy.
* Superhero News:
- With Marvel’s Avengers coming soon, looks like the DC Universe is gearing up for a superhero mashup with Batman and Superman. Can the Justice League be far behind?
- Doctor Strange may be teleporting to the silver screen soon. Just please, please, please, no Nicolas Cage. Please.
* Sequel Watch:
- The Howling Reborn is coming this October. The original scared the pants off of me, but the sequels have been less than creepy. Howling III: The Marsupials? Really? So they’re really gonna have to bring it to convince me this will be anything less than Redbox-worthy.
- WOOT — Mike & Sully are gonna strut their Pixar stuff again in Monsters University! Though it’s more of a prequel, showing ‘em in college, I’m up for it. You know Mike was in a frat. Which would be Beta Omicron Omicron (BOO), of course.
- More fuckwittage! Bridget Jones 3 is officially in the works. Though the book will have to be written first….
- If you’re like me and always wondered how we got to the point of remake-overkill, Siskel & Ebert fill you in on when it all started; 1976.
* Horror Score:
- Nicole Kidman and Dermot Mulroney are slated to star in Stoker. The plot is rather hush-hush, but I’m sure more of this young-girl-meets-creepy-uncle film will (not make it sound like a ped-fest) be forthcoming.
- World War Z gets a start date; bolt your doors from the zombie apocalypse December 21, 2012!
- The Stand is ready to infect theaters near you. Why not? It’s already got books, tv and graphic novels. It was only a matter of time ‘til Captain Trips hit the red carpet.
- Speaking of the sniffles, love these creepy-cool posters for Contagion! Though now I think I need some Purell.
* Trailer of the week: It may be too late for Christmas in July, but one look at A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas and you’ll forgive the delay. Neil Patrick Harris gets to poke fun at himself, and H&K are their usual “happy” selves. Sounds good!